Week 12 Story: My Long Lost Twin Brother

When I was a young boy, my father told me that I had a twin brother, but when we were only one month old, a wicked witch visited our house. She told my parents that there should only be one boy, so she kidnapped my twin brother. My dad has always assumed that the witch killed my twin, but I always had higher hopes. Six months ago, I set out on a journey of our native land in search for the wicked witch and my twin brother. I traveled through many treacherous lands in search for either one of them. I had to overcome a huge alligator that ate humans for snacks, snakes that would kill people while they slept, and a scary woman who killed people by boiling them alive. One day, I was so tired and had not eaten for several days when I came across the Eagle Land. This place was marvelous! The people looked so different and odd, but when they put on a cape of eagle's wings, they turned into eagles that could fly! A young woman met me and gave me food and shelter. She was the chief's daughter, and we quickly fell in love. She told her father about my journey for my twin brother and he let me borrow his wings. I flew across the world in search for my brother. I finally found the wicked witch and brought her back to the Eagle Land to ask her where she put my brother. She told me that she killed him, but I didn't believe her. When I held her over a boiling pot of water, she told me that he lived in Alaska. I flew there and alas! I found my long lost twin brother!


Author's Note:
This comes from the Native American Hero Tales Unit by Stith Thompson.
Story: Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away
In the original story, a witch kills a pregnant woman and throws her twin boys into a nearby spring and behind a curtain. A few years goes by and the boys get together with their father, and then they bring their mother back to life. They are rebellious children and go looking for adventure in some dangerous scenes, like with the alligator and the snakes that I mentioned.
I also based my story off of the third part of The Jealous Uncle.
In this story, a terrible uncle kills his two nephews and when he tries to kill the third, the nephew survives and ends up coming back and killing his uncle. He lives in Eagle Land and falls in love with the chief's daughter who lends him his eagle's wings so he can go find his parents. He ends up killing the mean uncle for being so mean to his parents after he left.

Comments

  1. Hi Melanie! It was a great idea to transform you into the main character of the story so you could experience your own journey. However, your story was a little bit more simplistic. It would better if you explained why the witch just allowed one only boy and why she took the other twin, not you? Also, did you have power to confront with those devils? Anyway, i was very happy to know that your sibling still alive in Arkansas now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie!

    The response of different cultures to the birth of twins is fascinating, and I'd love to learn more about how the witch talked the parents into losing one of their sons. Also, it might be nice to include a reference to the Crow people somewhere in the story, as your picture shows. There's lots of epic events described, and the summary feel to the story almost reminds me of a child writing in a diary. Also, what happened to the love interest? Did the young man ever return to the daughter of the eagle people? What happened after the twins are reunited?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long lost twins plots are always a fun story to read about. It seems like the main character has a lot to do in order to find his twin brother. The character going through with the long journey shows the devotion he has to finding his twin brother! I think that that is great. Yay! The brother is alive and in Alaska! I hope that the reunion went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melanie!
    I think you've got a great plot idea for your story! I feel like it really encompassed everything that a long lost brother story should have. I was glad to find out that he was able to connect with his brother and find him at the end! If I was going to make any suggestions I think that it would be really interesting to read an elaboration on some of the obstacles the brother overcame to find his twin. Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment