Wikipedia Trail: Group Dynamics to Psychophysics

For my Wikipedia Trail, I was inspired to look into the roles and responsibilities inside a group from a really funny story I read this week called The Group Project by my classmate, Brooke Holloway. She tells us a story about the typical group project dynamic--where one person takes the lead on a project and ends up doing most of the work. For my Wikipedia post, I wanted to look into why people in groups encompass these roles.
I searched "group dynamics" for my first Wikipedia trail. Wikipedia defines group dynamics as "a system of behaviors and psychological processes occurring within a social group (intragroup dynamics), or between social groups (intergroup dynamics)." This is important in making decisions for the group, as well as understanding all forms of social prejudice and discrimination such as racism and sexism. This trail led me to Wilhelm Wundt. He is credited as the founder of experimental psychology. As a psychology major, I know Wundt's name and what he is credited for, but I figured there is nothing to lose by learning more, so I decided to click on his name as my second Wikipedia trail.
Wilhelm Wundt is my second Wikipedia trail. He was a German physician, physiologist, philospher, and professor. He is known for being one of the founding figures of modern psychology, the first person to call him a psychologist, and the father of experimental psychology.

For my third Wikipedia trail, I decided to look into experimental psychology. I know about experimental psychology because I have taken Research Methods II, which is a class dedicated to psychology research, and I spent a year in a psychology research lab where I research creativity in people. It was really cool to experience this kind of research and it led me into another research opportunity at OU Medical Center researching the brain for neurosurgery. Experimental psychology refers to applied experimental methods to psychology studies and all of the underlying processes. There are many psychological processes that can be researched and a lot to learn about it!
This then led me to my last Wikipedia trail, psychophysics. Psychophysics "quantitatively investigates the relationship between physical stimuli and the sensations and perceptions they produce." We can think of it pretty much as the relationship between a sensation or feeling we have or perceive to a certain stimulus.

Comments