Growth Mindset: Feedback Challenge

Article: Giving Creative Feedback - A Guide for Those Who Aren't Creative by Deborah Maue


I chose this article because I feel like I say many of the same things when I give feedback to my peers and I want to be able to give better and more useful feedback.

Maue tells us in eight steps how to give better, more creative feedback. Something I already knew that is mentioned in her article is how we should gauge our initial reaction to whatever we are reading, and then push our initial reaction aside because it may reflect our own personal biases more than the work itself.

Something I learned: One of the steps to giving more creative feedback is to notice where your eye wants to go first, second, and third. This is where we should find the three most important pieces of information in whatever we are reading. I already knew that my eye should be drawn to a piece of important information, but I did not really consider three separate pieces of information, and that if I don't do this, I'm missing out on important information within the literature that I'm critiquing.

Something I am curious about: One of the last steps Maue mentions in this article is to ask probing questions. For example, asking the author why he or she picked specific pictures or plots, which ultimately can help us understand how the author thinks his or her piece will accomplish the objectives. I'm curious about this because I want to be able to perform this step better and more thoroughly in order to further understand my own biases when it comes to reading articles or pieces of work. I will go about my curiosity by looking up good "probing" questions and thinking more independently while reading stories in order to ask better questions.


Comments