Week 6 Story: The 12 Universal Stones

 I have updated this story. Read my new story in the following link: The Universal Stones
The 12 Universal Stones

In the beginning, the primordial deities, Gaia (Mother Earth) and Uranus (Father Sky), gave birth to 12 children, known as the Titans. The Titans ruled over the entire universe. While the Titans held immense power, Gaia and Uranus knew that there must be balance. So, together, they created the 6 Universal Stones.

The stones control six aspects of the universe - Reality, Time, Mind, Power, Soul, and Space. When the Titans had their children - the Olympians, Gaia and Uranus saw that it could be easy for one god to gain control of all six stones, so they smashed each stone into two pieces. Each piece held half of its power, and together, the stone held all of the power of that one aspect. Gaia dispersed five of the stones while Uranus dispersed five throughout the galaxy. Neither of them knew where the other hid the stones. Together, they held onto one of stones and gave the last one to Kronos, their youngest son who reigned over all of the Titans.

When Zeus, Krono's son, heard that his father possessed one of the Universal Stones, he became greedy. He gathered his brothers and sisters and began a plot to overthrow the Titans, assuming that each one held a Universal Stone. Then the Titan War began.

After ten years, Zeus and the other Olympian gods and goddesses defeated their parents and ruled over the universe; however, Zeus was not satisfied. He managed to steal the Power stone from his father, but quickly realized that this was only the beginning of a long journey.

Zeus's brother, Poseidon, god of the sea, found both halves of the Reality stone. Poseidon knew of the power that a whole Universal Stone held, and kept it hidden until after the Titan War. After the war, he told Zeus about what he found. Zeus told him of his plan to get all of the Universal Stones and rule the entire universe alongside his brothers and sisters.

Hades, god of the underworld and Zeus's brother, knew of Zeus's plan to gain control of all the Universal Stones, and did not approve. Hades had one half of the Soul stone in the underworld and hid it so deep that even the immortal Zeus would have to die before he could take it.

It took 5000 years for Zeus to figure out the location of 11 of the Universal Stones. He sent his wife, Hera, to find the location of the last Universal Stone. Now, he must find ways to take them.

The Fall of the Titans by Cornelis Cornelisz van Haarlem. Web Source

(370 words)
___________________________________________________________________________________
Author's Note:

My story is based off one of my favorite movies, Marvel's The Infinity War, which is about Marvel's Avengers and how they have to fight together against Thenos, who is trying to steal all six infinity stones so that he can rule the whole universe. With my story, I split the stones in half because I wanted to make 12 stones for the 12 Olympian gods and goddesses, as well as the 12 Titans and Titannesses. Since the movie ends with a cliffhanger, I decided to do the same with my story.

You may be familiar with Greek Mythology, but let me refresh your memory. Here is the lineage: Uranus (heaven) and Gaia (earth) had children - the (12) Titans. Then, the Titans had their children: the Olympians (Zeus, Poseidon and so on).  Well, the Olympians got tired of the Titans having all the power, so they decided to go to war, and the Olympians won. This war has many names: Titan War, Battle of the Gods, War of the Titans, Battle of the Titans, or Titanomachy. The most common name is the Titan War. The Titan War lasted 10 years. While I really appreciate Greek Mythology and the Titans, but I decided to make this story more about the gods and goddesses that live on Mount Olympus.


I also base this story from the crash course video: Great Goddesses, where all of the most important goddesses are mentioned.

Comments

  1. Hi Melanie,
    I thought it was interesting how you merged Greek mythology with the mythology (is that the right word) of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Compared to normal people, a lot of the Marvel can seem almost like gods (or titans). I think the similarities between the Titan War and Infinity War are another part of why this Greek and Marvel mashup works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melanie! I really enjoyed the story of why we even had the Titan War. That really added to the intrigue, and makes me really want a sequel. I'm curious as to what got Zeus so fixated on these stones other than the immense power that they possess. Even though I haven't seen the Marvel movies (I keep telling myself I need to, but I never can get myself to start), I enjoyed the combination of Marvel and Greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie!

    This is a fantastic mashup! I've never actually seen the marvel movie yet (I know), but the stones are a great addition to the legend surrounding early clashes in the Olympus universe.

    The narrative is well paced, and the language is both clear and descriptive. I also love the idea of a war lasting 5000 years! Such a long time, but maybe not for immortals.

    Fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melanie! What a great story! I love Marvel movies, too! I can’t wait to watch Infinity War again when I get a chance. I really like what you did to merge the Greek gods and Titans with the ideas of the Marvel Universe. I especially like the idea of splitting the Universal Stones into two so their power is balanced and offset. You could write a whole novel on the struggles to gain and lose those stones! You’re doing great! I can’t wait to read more soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment