Learning Challenge: Sleep

Article: An Underappreciated Key to College Success: Sleep by Jane E. Brody in the New York Times

I chose the topic of sleep because I am an advocate for getting sleep, especially when my friends tell me they are doing an all-nighter before an exam. I also wanted to learn more about sleep because I work a night job where I work from 1830 to 0730 (6:30pm to 7:30am). I work on average about three times every two weeks, which is not a lot, but being a full time student while working a night job is more difficult than it sounds, especially for someone whose first all-nighter was my first night shift in January of 2018.
Look at this cute baby sleeping:)
Baby sleeping.


Something I already knew when reading this article is how Brody talks about how universities are actually provoking students to sleep less. Universities, while preaching that students must take care of themselves and advocating for healthy sleep schedules, actually do the opposite by keeping the library open twenty-four hours, keeping restaurants open late into the night, etc. This encourages students to stay up later.

Something new I learned in this article is that after being awake for sixteen hours straight, brain function starts to decline, and after twenty hours awake, we perform as if legally drunk (J. Roxane Prichard). I do not necessarily agree with performing as if we are legally drunk, but this may be true for some people! I know for sure that my roommate needs a ton of sleep, so she might respond this way. But, I know my body pretty well, and yes, I love sleep and need it, but I do not need as much sleep as many of my peers. I need to sleep before taking an exam, even if I do not know anything, I will choose sleep over studying. I also don't like naps, which always seems to make people crazy when I say that. They make me feel sluggish and more tired afterwards, and I can never actually fall asleep for a nap (unless I'm really sick or extremely tired).

I am curious about OU's initiatives to keep students living healthy. I see a few of their outreaches and programs like Healthy Sooners, but I wonder if they have a program dedicated to students having trouble balancing classes, work, extracurricular activities, social lives, and sleep. I think it would be helpful to have a seminar giving students different ways to help maintain a healthier life in college because many students, including myself, lose a sense of balance and develop sleeping disorders. I am going to look on Orgsync to see if OU has a student organization dedicated to this matter and then I think I might bring it up to my advisor to see if she has any opinions on it.

Comments