Storybook Favorites

I did not know what to expect when I first began reading the Storybooks; however, I found them fun to read and I found myself laughing at most of them. I read multiple of the given Storybooks, and I narrowed them down to my top 3 favorites.

The first, Real Housewives of Greek Mythology, appealed to my sense of humor while also keeping the story light and easy to read. I was originally drawn to it because I love Greek Mythology and I used to watch Real Housewives on television, so I knew this Storybook would be entertaining to read. The author writes this post as a script, which is very clever as it is based off of a "reality" TV show. At the end of each "Episode", the author makes an Author's Note to help the readers make sense of what is actually true and what is not. Although I love Greek Mythology, I have not studied it since high school, so the Author's notes helped me stay on track with the truth. I thought that small detail was very intelligent to add and it helps enlighten the readers about true Greek Mythology beliefs. The small details in this Storybook make it captivating to read. Highly recommend!
Source: Medusa, a monster in Greek Mythology known for turning anyone who gazed upon her into stone.

Next, OU's Haunted Halls, captured my attention because I hate scary things, but I am also intrigued by them...and I couldn't stop myself from reading this Storybook. The author organizes the Storybook by chapters, where each is a different scary story known around the University of Oklahoma's campus. Each haunted story was in a different format including a diary entry, an interactive story, a transcript of a phone call, and a newspaper article.  I loved the Tragedy in Cate Center chapter because it was interactive and the reader got to decide the ending of the story. Overall, I found the Storybook interesting and exciting to read.

Finally, my third favorite Storybook, Aladdin's Adventures, tells a new adventurous story about the famous "Aladdin".  I initially was interested because I am a big Disney fan so, naturally, I love all of the Disney Princess movies. I wanted to see if I would enjoy a new rendition of the classic movie Aladdin. Although the details of the new story were very different from the original, I enjoyed reading each new Storybook; I found it very intriguing. I liked how the two lovers had reversed roles, and how the evil uncle wanted to steal the throne from his nephew. I thought the author added a new dimension to the story, which kept the audience wanting to read more.

Source: A lamp similar to the one used in Disney's Aladdin.

Comments